Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Welcome to our story...

On Wednesday, March 10, 2010, after a year of “trying” and two and a half years of being off the birth control pill, my husband and I learned that I have a unicornuate uterus. This means I only have about half of my uterus and one communicating ovary. I was born with one kidney, which led my doctors to run an HSG test in the first place. I never dreamed I would find out that there were malformations in my uterus as well. I knew it could happen since the kidneys and uterus form together in the womb, but I just never thought it would be true for me. I didn’t skip periods or anything, so in my mind, I had to have all the working parts. The doctors are telling us now that getting pregnant should not be a problem, but because of the size of my uterus, they can’t tell me how far it will be able to stretch to hold a fetus. Preterm labor and miscarriages are almost a given. What the doctors don’t know is that I am a daughter of the Most High King and that He is the God of the impossible. I believe that God can stretch my uterus as far as He wants to if it is in His will for us to have biological children. We know that we serve a God that can do far more abundantly than we could ever imagine (Eph 3:20).


While I realize that this is a very personal journey, I feel that blogging is a practical way for me to use our experience to bring glory to God and encourage others to see Him in the midst of our trials. The weekend after learning this new information was extremely difficult, to say the least. I finally learned what it really meant to weep. However after a few days, I permitted myself to do the forbidden and Googled “unicornuate uteruses”. I stumbled upon a blog of another girl with the same thing as me and it really encouraged me as I read about her journey. If I can encourage one person by sharing my story, then logging it publicly is well worth it. It also helps me to get my thoughts on paper (which is hysterical because if you know me, you know I am passionate about science and math; writing is not my gift nor something I enjoy). So the fact that I feel inspired to write is quite entertaining. That makes it even more convincing that the idea comes from above and not me. Haha. I think it will also be good for me to have a log of my journey so I can look back and see what the Lord has done. I know when we are going through tough circumstances, we often forget what He has already accomplished, and I know I will need to be reminded time and time again that God is at work through those little nuggets of hope!


Thank you for journeying with me. I can never express enough thanks for all the prayers. Brad and I can certainly feel them. Above all else, I ask that you would pray for Brad and me to cling to one another and to the good Lord throughout this process. Also pray that our marriage would be strengthened. We cannot let satan use this as an opportunity to tear down our marriage. We covet your prayers in this matter.


We are certainly thankful for our parents, family, church and friends who love us deeply. We could not be enduring this without you.


Much love and hope, the Harby's.

No comments: