Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Dusting off John Piper

It has been a while since I have read any books or sermons by John Piper. Ryan Cunningham sent me some links today to some recent sermons by John Piper and I found them incredibly refreshing and encouraging, specifically, "Battling the Unbelief of Impatience." I hope it encourages you as well.

"Impatience is a form of unbelief. It's what we begin to feel when we start to doubt the wisdom of God's timing or the goodness of his guidance. It springs up in our hearts when the road to success gets muddy or strewn with boulders or blocked by some fallen tree. The battle with impatience can be a little skirmish over a long wait in a checkout lane. Or it can be a major combat over a handicap or disease or circumstance that knocks out half your dreams.
The opposite of impatience is not a glib, superficial denial of frustration. The opposite of impatience is a deepening, ripening, peaceful willingness either to wait for God where you are in the place of obedience, or to persevere at the pace he allows on the road of obedience—to wait in his place, or to go at his pace."

Click the link below to read the full article:
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/BySeries/15/659_Battling_the_Unbelief_of_Impatience/

"I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,And in his word I hope." Psalm 130:5

"'Waiting for the Lord' is an Old Testament way of describing the opposite of impatience. Waiting for the Lord is the opposite of running ahead of the Lord and it's the opposite of bailing out on the Lord. It's staying at your appointed place while he says stay, or it's going at his appointed pace while he says go. It's not impetuous and it's not despairing."

Love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sharlie! It's Ashley. I'm sitting here in anatomy class reading your blog and listening to everyones conversations (don't worry my teacher isn't teaching or anything so it's ohkay!) haha. Anyways I was listening to this kid Parker next to me, talking about his cousin and how she had .1% of getting pregnant because of a problem with her ovaries. And I thought it was ironic that I was reading the blog and talking about that. But his cousin is now having a baby! I just though that was cool and encouraging and wanted to write on your blog:) haha. But we are learning about the ovaries and uterus and all that this week! Haha excitinggg! Well love you and I reallyy like your blog!

Sharlieharby said...

Hey Ash!! Thanks for your comment...although you know I don't condone you being on your phone in class. haha. PAY ATTENTION! :) Thank you so much for your encouragement. All those little stories are so uplifting and point me back to Ephesians 3:20-21. He can do far more abundantly than man can imagine. He laughs at 1%. The Lord doesn't know statistics. :) Thank goodness. You are a sweet girl and so precious to me. LOVE YOU! Thanks for taking the time to share.